OpenNEM – National Electricity Market Live Snapshot
- The National Electricity Market (NEM) incorporates around 40,000 km of transmission lines and cables.
- It supplies about 200 terawatt hours of electricity to businesses and households each year.
- It supplies around 9 million customers.
- It has a total electricity generating capacity of almost 54,421 MW (as at December 2017).
- $16.6 billion was traded in the NEM in the financial year 2016–17.
- Strategic reserves of demand and generation resources of more than 1000 MW for 2017-18.
An Open Platform for National Electricity Market Data
They hope that improved access will facilitate better public understanding of the market, improve energy literacy and help facilitate a more informed national discussion on Australia’s energy transition in the long term interests of consumers.
By providing a clear window on the data, they hope to address the information asymmetry between stakeholders and improve the productivity of those engaged in energy market discussions.